Tuesday, February 24, 2009

SEO - the goal is to increase your targeted traffic, right?


Until recently I only thought of SEO as a way to get your website noticed by the search engines. In the business this is known as SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages).

I now see SEO more as a process that makes people aware of your webdite rather than a set of technical rules to put your website high up in the search engine ranks.


For example, if you post an answer on Yahoo Answers, people do click on the link you provide as the source of your knowledge. Well, why can't the source be your own website? How about article marketing? Is this part of the new SEO?

I think it is. When you submit an article to a great article sites such as EznieArticles.com and GoArticles.com a link back to your site should be provided in your author bio. (If it is not, then you are a very generous person indeed)

That link will enable people to find your website directly from the article directory. If people like what you write, then they may want to read more of your stuff.


I am told that Ask.com does not have a "no follow" policy for links posted in answers. True, the search volume of Ask.com is far less than Google, but we need to take advantage of any avenues to increase our website exposure.


Remember, the "no follow" tag used by Google does not mean people cannot cross over using the link posted anywhere else. It means that the site linked to will not get "Google juice" or higher Google Page Rank or respect from Google.


Here are some SEO techniques to get targeted traffic:

1. there are some (but not too many) good website directories to join. (if you want a list of my favorites, send me a message)

2. Participate in forum and blog discussions. This is a proven method (by me) to get a fair amount of traffic to your website.
3. Press releases: well written press releases can deliver decent traffic.

4. Link exchanges with other websites can send minimal traffic. But a good inbound link has other value, perhaps more Google juice.

5. I have good results from Yahoo Answers.

6. I have good results from Ryze.com


The point I am trying to make is that I strongly recommend to my clients that they help themselves by using these diffent SEO techniques. The new SEO requires more effort on the part of my clients or they can hire me to do some of that work.


So, you will get traffic using other techniques and that to me is the main goal of SEO, is it not?


What do you think?


Greg Cryns The Mighty Mo Website Design and SEO service
Free Freelancing Report
.

.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this however SEO is something I am new too and therefore sat trying to find as many good sites with good SEO information on, one being SEOMOZ. If you have not visted this then it is worth a look at http://www.seomoz.org/. It is a trusted and recommended site.

    ReplyDelete